Holiday Hunger is an issue currently facing an estimated 3 million children and young people every year.
- 61% of families are worried about where their next meal will come from
- 66% of children on the poverty line often skip meals which can seriously affect a child’s development, potentially inhibiting future opportunities
- Children living in poverty is expected to rise to 37% by 2023
- 8,600 children in Barnet are eligible for free school meals
- 13.1% of homes across Barnet are classified below the poverty line limiting access to both nutritious food and sporting activities
Income deprivation results in a decline in physical activity and social interaction for young people during school holidays.
Children from deprived areas return to school in a worse educational and lifestyle state compare to how they left school before the holiday.